Lorenzo Dow Turner Papers
- Biographical/Historical note
- Lorenzo Dow Turner was born in Elizabeth City, N.C. in 1895. He earned his B.A. in 1914 from Howard University; in 1917, he received an M.A. in English from Harvard University. He received his doctorate in English from the University of Chicago in 1926 while simultaneously serving as chairman and professor of the Department of English at Howard from 1917 to 1928. He held the same positions at Fisk University in Nashville from 1929 to 1946. In 1946 he accepted a professorship in the English department at Roosevelt University in Chicago, where he remained as professor of English and lecturer in African Cultures until his retirement in 1970. Turner was professor emeritus at Roosevelt until his death at age 77 in 1972. Turner's professional and academic interests encompassed both English and linguistics. A noted scholar of African languages and linguistics, he learned numerous West African languages, mastering five of them. He was a noted authority on Gullah, a Creole language spoken in the Sea Islands off the coast of South Carolina and Georgia.
- 1895 - 1972
- 23.97 Linear feet (20 boxes)
- Lorenzo Dow Turner papers,Anacostia Community Museum Archives, Smithsonian Institution, gift of Lois Turner Williams.
- Collection descriptions
- Archival materials
- Audiovisual materials
- Field recordings
- Photographic prints
- Sea Islands Creole dialect
- African languages -- Study and teaching -- United States
- Linguistics -- Research -- United States
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
EAD Collection Results3 result(s) Skip to facets for narrowing search results
- Media Type
- Resource Type
- filter Lorenzo Dow Turner Papers 3 Exclude Lorenzo Dow Turner Papers
- filter Lorenzo Dow Turner Papers / Series 5: Photographs, circa 1890–1974 / 5.4.1: Research: Africa / 35mm negatives / Sierra Leone 3 Exclude Lorenzo Dow Turner Papers / Series 5: Photographs, circa 1890–1974 / 5.4.1: Research: Africa / 35mm negatives / Sierra Leone
- Metadata Usage