Collection of Frederick Douglass materials
- Biographical/Historical note
- Frederick Douglass (1818--895) was born into slavery on Maryland's Eastern Shore but fled north in 1838 to settle in Massachussetts. He soon joined the antislavery movement, and by the mid-1840s his commanding eloquence in offering firsthand testimony to the oppressions of slavery had transformed him into one of the movement's most persuasive spokesmen. Douglass' reforming zeal remained strong all his life. After the Civil War put an end to slavery, he continued to be a leading defender of the rights of African Americans during Reconstruction. In 1871, President Grant appointed Douglass secretary to a diplomatic mission charged with investigating the desirability of annexing the Caribbean nation of Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) as a United States territory.
- circa 1850 - 1871
- 1.27 Linear feet (2 boxes)
- Collection on Frederick Douglass, Anacostia Community Museum Archives, Smithsonian Institution.
- Collection descriptions
- Archival materials
- Photographic prints
- Albumen prints
EAD Collection Results8 result(s) Skip to facets for narrowing search results
- Life and Times of Frederick Douglass/ written by himself, his early life as a slave, his escape from bondage, and his complete history / written by himself ; with an introduction by George L. Ruffin.
- My bondage, and my freedom. . . By Frederick Douglass ; with introduction by Dr. James M' Cune Smith.
- Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an American slave /written by himself.
- Media Type
- filter Archival materials 8 Exclude Archival materials
- filter Books 3 Exclude Books
- filter Photographs 3 Exclude Photographs
- filter Albumen prints 2 Exclude Albumen prints
- filter Photographic_print_mounted_on_cardboard 2 Exclude Photographic_print_mounted_on_cardboard
- filter Cartes-de-visite 1 Exclude Cartes-de-visite
- filter Framed photograph 1 Exclude Framed photograph
- filter Narratives 1 Exclude Narratives
- filter Collection of Frederick Douglass materials 8 Exclude Collection of Frederick Douglass materials
- filter Collection of Frederick Douglass materials / Series 1: Photographs 3 Exclude Collection of Frederick Douglass materials / Series 1: Photographs
- filter Collection of Frederick Douglass materials / Series 2: Publications 3 Exclude Collection of Frederick Douglass materials / Series 2: Publications
- filter Abolitionists 5 Exclude Abolitionists
- filter Antislavery movements 3 Exclude Antislavery movements
- filter African American abolitionists 2 Exclude African American abolitionists
- filter Slavery 2 Exclude Slavery
- filter African Americans 1 Exclude African Americans
- filter Chairs 1 Exclude Chairs
- filter Dining 1 Exclude Dining
- filter Plantation life 1 Exclude Plantation life
- filter Portraits 1 Exclude Portraits
- filter Portraits, Group 1 Exclude Portraits, Group
- filter Ships 1 Exclude Ships
- Metadata Usage