Donald Murray Jr. Papers
- Scope and Contents
- The Donald Murray Jr. papers measure 2.4 cubic feet and date from 1934 to 2014, with the bulk of the material dating from 1987 to 2004. The papers contain biographical material, records related to Murray's professional activities, photographs, and audiovisual material. The biographical files contain scrapbooks, awards and certificates, and material related both to his family and his personal background. Contents include a scrapbook detailing the Million Man March, memorial programs for family members or friends, a high school year book, and assorted celebratory event programs. Additional material related to Murray's family include a family portrait listed in the Photographs series. Of the three scrapbooks in the collection, one has been disassembled due to preservation concerns and is housed in the order in which it was presented. Images of the original scrapbook are included. Additional scrapbooks are maintained as they were received. The professional files document activities Murray led or participated in as a part of the Humanities Council of Washington D.C. which includes correspondence and material collected from his time on Mayor Marion Barry Jr.'s administration, such as copies of proclamations and background on Murray and other cabinet members. The series Photographs contains four oversized portraits of Donald Murray Jr. and his family, as well as the Morgan State University graduating class of 1960, and a signed portrait of an unknown man. Audiovisual material contains 15 items that include copies of documentaries, lectures given by Donald Murray Jr., and public testimonies. Additional material includes photographs or videos of events.
- Biographical Note
- Donald Murray Junior was one of the first generation of professional city government leaders in Washington D.C. who became prominent after home rule and the election of Marion Barry Jr. Following the election of Mayor Barry, Murray became the Manager and Director of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) in March 1987. Murray received his bachelor's degree from Morgan State University in Baltimore, and a master's degree in social work from Howard University. As a graduate student at Howard University, he worked for the United Planning Organization and then served three years as Associate Director of Friendship House Association. He also served in the Army for two years. Prior to his career in city goverment, Murray was a professor at the University of Maryland and Director of the university's African Studies Department. He left the university in 1981 to become acting director of the Department of Licenses, Investigations and Inspections of the District of Columbia. Donald Murray Junior served as a board member to the Humanities Council of Washington D.C. from 2004 to 2010.
- 2.4 Cubic feet (1 box, 4 flat boxes)
- Donated by Donald Murray Jr. in 2015.
- Collection items available for reproduction, but the Archives makes no guarantees concerning copyright restrictions. Other intellectual property rights may apply. Archives cost-recovery and use fees may apply when requesting reproductions.
- Donald Murray Jr. Papers, Anacostia Community Museum Archives, Smithsonian Institution, gift of Donald Murray Jr.
- Collection descriptions
- Archival materials
- Programs (documents)
- Audiovisual materials
- African Americans -- Washington (D.C.)
- D.C. Community Humanities Council
- Washington, D.C. -- history
EAD Collection Results20 result(s) Skip to facets for narrowing search results
- Awards and Certificates
- Audiovisual Media
- Housing and Community Development Reform Advisory Commission Appointment Notification Letter
- Jack and Jill of America Incorporated event programs
- Forest Park High School yearbook
- Personal Scrapbook
- Biographical Files
- Humanities Council of Washington D.C. records
- Personal and Family Material
- Memorial Programs
- Celebratory Event Programs
- Million Man March
- Mayor Marion Barry Jr. Administration Files
- Audiovisual Material
- Professional Files
- Humanities Council of Washington D.C.
- Million Man March scrapbook images
- Mayor Marion Barry Jr. Earth Day Proclamation
- Resource Type
- filter Donald Murray Jr. Papers 20 Exclude Donald Murray Jr. Papers
- filter Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 1: Biographical Files / Personal and Family Material 4 Exclude Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 1: Biographical Files / Personal and Family Material
- filter Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 1: Biographical Files / Scrapbooks 4 Exclude Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 1: Biographical Files / Scrapbooks
- filter Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 2: Professional Files 4 Exclude Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 2: Professional Files
- filter Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 1: Biographical Files 3 Exclude Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 1: Biographical Files
- filter Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 4: Audiovisual Material 1 Exclude Donald Murray Jr. Papers / Series 4: Audiovisual Material
- Metadata Usage