Press Pass Worn by Ethel L. Payne
- paper, plastic, metal, cotton string
- 8 9/16 × 3 7/16 × 3/8 in. (21.8 × 8.7 × 0.9 cm)
- Cite As
- Ethel Lois Payne Collection, Anacostia Community Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Gift of Avis R. Johnson.
- Entering her fourth year as The Chicago Defender’s Washington correspondent, Ethel L. Payne (1911-1991) wore this blue-and-white press pass when covering the second inauguration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower. A paper badge hanging below the pinback button is punctuated with tiny blue elephants in a nod to political party. This badge granted Payne access to the Inaugural Ball, held January 21, 1957 at the D.C. National Guard Armory. Perhaps it was here that a famous Broadway performer inscribed “Love, Pearl Bailey” on the back of Payne’s press pass.
- Accession Number
- press badge
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.