Press Pass Worn by Ethel L. Payne
- paper, plastic, metal
- 5/16 × 3 7/16 in. (0.8 × 8.7 cm)
- Cite As
- Ethel Lois Payne Collection, Anacostia Community Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Gift of Avis R. Johnson.
- Ethel L. Payne (1911-1991) wore this press pass to cover the inauguration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower for The Chicago Defender, the nation’s leading African American newspaper. The blue-and-white button admitted Payne to the inauguration ceremony on January 20, 1953 and to related events. Payne also attended an inaugural ball held the following evening at the D.C. National Guard Armory, which featured renowned musicians Lionel Hampton and W.C. Handy.
- Accession Number
- press badge
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.