Pinback Button, “Washington’s No. 1 Crew,”
- Late 20th century
- metal, plastic, paper
- 1/4 × 2 3/16 in. (0.7 × 5.5 cm)
- Cite As
- Ethel Lois Payne Collection, Anacostia Community Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Gift of Avis R. Johnson.
- This pinback button promotes “Washington’s No. 1 Crew” in red lettering and four red stars on a white background. It belonged to journalist Ethel L. Payne, (1911-1991), who moved from Chicago to Washington, DC in 1952 to cover national and international news for the preeminent African American newspaper, The Chicago Defender. Known as The First Lady of the Black Press, Payne collected political buttons throughout her pioneering career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.