Pinback Button, Coalition of 100 Black Women

Object Details

Date
Between 1970 and 1981
Medium
metal, plastic, paper
Dimensions
3/16 × 1 1/2 in. (0.4 × 3.8 cm)
Cite As
Ethel Lois Payne Collection, Anacostia Community Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Gift of Avis R. Johnson.
Caption
On this pinback button, a hand-drawn profile of a Black woman joins lowercase text to form the Coalition of 100 Black Women’s rectangular logo. In 1970, twenty-four Black women began meeting in one another’s homes in New York City to address residual challenges and opportunities from the 1960s. The organization soon grew into a national organization focused on promoting gender and racial equity, becoming the National Coalition of Women in 1981. The beige button, warmed with sepia lines, belonged to journalist Ethel L. Payne (1911-1991), a recipient of the group’s Candace Award in 1988 for her trailblazing career. A Chicago native, Payne moved to Washington, DC in 1952 to cover national and international news. The lifelong civil rights activist filed stories from thirty countries over the course of her reporting career, becoming known as the First Lady of the Black Press.
Accession Number
1991.0076.0179
Type
button
See more items in
Anacostia Community Museum Collection
Data Source
Anacostia Community Museum
Restrictions & Rights
Usage conditions apply
GUID
http://n2t.net/ark:/65665/dl8b78b412f-e9df-4c88-86c9-78ff6f3c822a
Record ID
acm_1991.0076.0179
Back to Top