Plaited Basket with Handle
- Ira Blount
- wood splint, reed, coating, adhesive
- 10 3/4 × 11 5/16 × 17 13/16 in. (27.3 × 28.8 × 45.3 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This natural-colored, plaited wood splint basket has a flat bottom. The splints vary in thickness, and the repetition of the weave achieves a formal balance. Coatings on the splint handle highlight the natural grain of the wood. The single-lashed rim includes a round reed. Pencil marks remain as evidence of the artist’s process.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.