Egg Basket with Handle
- Ira Blount
- late 20th-early 21st Century
- reed, wood splint, coating
- 4 3/4 × 4 7/8 × 5 9/16 in. (12 × 12.4 × 14.1 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This egg basket is made of round reeds woven in a plain weave. A God’s Eye design made of wood splint connects the handle to the basket. Artist Ira Blount inscribed his initials and the number “87” (probably the date) inside the handle. This basket showcases his ability to make highly uniform, precise, and intricate designs.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.