Woven Basket with Handle
- Ira Blount
- late 20th-early 21st Century
- wood splint, seagrass
- 5 7/8 × 6 3/4 in. (15 × 17.2 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This basket is made of wood splints and round reeds woven in a plain weave. The splint handle is wrapped in thin, evenly spaced wood splints. Artist Ira Blount created texture by using double plied twisted seagrass cord and a wrapped seagrass decoration to accent the sides of the basket near the handle. The combination of the woven splints, reeds, and seagrass cord creates visual interest throughout.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.