Handmade Basket with Purple Design and Handle
- Ira Blount
- late 20th-early 21st Century
- wood splint, reed, glass, dye, waxed linen cord
- 4 5/8 × 5 1/16 × 4 3/4 in. (11.8 × 12.8 × 12 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This basket is woven from wood splints and natural-colored and dyed purple reeds woven in a plain weave. Most of the purple reeds surround the God’s Eye design connecting the handle to the body of the basket. One purple wood splint is situated below the rim, while two round purple reeds accent the handle. Purple glass beads also decorate the handle.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.