Melon-Shaped Basket with Dyed Reed Design
- Ira Blount
- wood splint, reed, dye
- 5 7/8 × 6 11/16 × 6 5/16 in. (15 × 17 × 16 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This small melon-shaped basket is made of wood splints and round reeds woven in a plain weave. Reeds dyed purple, pink, and brown are woven into a U-shape that accents the God’s Eye design at the base of the handle.
- Blount made this basket in 1980, the year he began crafting baskets. He recalls how his first attempt “was a total disaster. The basket wouldn’t sit up…But, I kept trying and trying and finally I made a few that were presentable.” This perseverance is a hallmark of Blount’s process.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.