Melon-Shaped Basket with Brown Stripes
- Ira Blount
- late 20th-early 21st Century
- wood splint, reed, dye
- 5 7/8 × 6 5/8 × 6 1/4 in. (14.9 × 16.8 × 15.8 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This melon-shaped basket contrasts pale, medium, and dark brown colors. The variety of the wood splints and round reeds creates texture and visual interest. Artist Ira Blount constructed the handle with an alternating plain weave anchored by a woven God’s Eye design where the handle attaches to the basket.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.