Melon-Shaped Basket with Purple Stripe
- Ira Blount
- wood splint, reed, dye
- 15 1/4 × 12 3/4 × 12 13/16 in. (38.8 × 32.4 × 32.5 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- Though artist Ira Blount more frequently utilized natural-colored materials, here he incorporates splints dyed a deep purple. A single purple reed doubled on itself is present on either side of the melon-shaped basket. The basket is woven with a plain weave. A purple splint also decorates the basket’s wooden handle, which is attached to the body with a God’s Eye design. The colors emphasize the regularity and precision of the weaving.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.