Plaited Basket with Rectangular-Shaped Handle
- Ira Blount
- reed wood splint, seagrass, dye
- 10 13/16 × 11 1/8 × 13 1/4 in. (27.5 × 28.3 × 33.6 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This brown, wood splint basket has a decorative handle bent in a rectangular shape. The rim is single-lashed and adorned with double plied twisted seagrass cord. The sturdy, rectangular shape complements the plaited weave.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.