Rectangular-Shaped Basket with Woven Purple Design
- Ira Blount
- wood splint, dye, adhesive
- 8 1/4 × 9 1/16 × 9 1/16 in. (21 × 23 × 23 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- This natural-colored and dyed splint basket was woven with a plain weave. The vibrant, dark purple splints create a visually appealing rectilinear pattern along the side, and an “X” design along the handle. Both patterns recall a ribbon woven between splints. The rim is single-lashed. The bottom of the basket has a rounded rectangular shape, as does the handle. Pencil marks on the bottom give insight into the artist’s process.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.