Origami Kimono on Red Background
- Ira Blount
- origami paper, cardstock
- 4 15/16 × 3 9/16 in. (12.5 × 9 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- A bright red paper background highlights the red and mauve designs in this origami kimono. The white, pink, purple, and beige patterned garment features gold metallic embellishments along with cherry blossoms and brown twigs. The continuity of the twig that curves from the top left of the waist down to the center of the skirt’s bottom, evidencing the artist’s skillful ability to manipulate the paper’s patterns and folds to create a compelling design.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.