- David Bethuel Jamieson
- late 20th Century
- ink on paper
- 10 3/16 × 9 3/16 in. (25.8 × 23.3 cm)
- This abstract black ink image is reminiscent of a Rorschach ink blot. The form resembles an “X” with an additional line emanating from the top, recalling a kneeling human figure with their arms raised. The contrast between the black ink and the white background draws attention to form and the copious blank space in the composition. The simple form invites the viewer to provide his or her own critical interpretation or response based on their own experiences and perspectives.
- Despite enduring difficulties in his early years, David Bethuel Jamieson went on to study at the University of Vermont in Burlington in 1983, where his career in art began. In addition to focusing on art and American history, Jamieson participated in activist causes to advance diversity at his college and end apartheid in South Africa. David B. Jamieson died due to complications from AIDS in 1992.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- Metadata Usage
- Not determined
- Record ID
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.